Friday, April 25, 2008

Motion Picture Soundtrack

I find music to be very similar to the hammer the doctor slams against my kneecap to prove my reflexes are still active. I prescribe to my daily routine, and then every now and then I find myself at an appointment I didn't make myself. And then the tool comes, knocks me to the ground, and I get up.  I'm alive.

An exaggerated example, I guess, but I live between hypotheticals and dressed up four penny words. I'm on a first-name-basis with thinking, anyways. You can pull up a chair and join the conversation if you want. I didn't really have anything interesting to pour in anyways. But I'll continue with my false witticisms.

I was listening to Kid A today, I hadn't in a while, and "Motion Picture Soundtrack" came on. I've listened to it before, but I think it always caught me when my mind had no vacant spots for appreciation. Apparently, today I did, and the hammer came down. I got the chills, the absent-minded stare, and all those other cliches you can think of when a song catches you completely off guard. But for some reason the hammer came down even harder, and I kicked back with some vigor I had forgotten about. It was that feeling of that first gasp of air after being submerged for too long. I was alive, and not like the anatomical stuff. I don't like biology anyways. It put me in my place, but after I caught my breath, it pushed me away and kept an interested glimpse as to what my next step would be.

What?

Yeah, I know. I get wordy. Sorry. I feel like some horrible narrator to my day. Maybe this is all because I watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang last week. 

It's refreshing. Those little moments that prove you're alive. That you're completely capable of getting lost in this labyrinth of a life, but even more capable of chasing that exit, wherever the hell it is, with a smile on your face.

Good Day.

+Grant (g-are-en-tuh)

No comments: